Friday 2 August 2013

Mano Svanidze




“I have been taking photos since 2009. I always dreamt of painting and wouldn't dare. I was afraid of disappointment, that I would ruin my hopes and as a result, there would be no painter and no dream. So I decided to keep it as a dream.

Once, when I was browsing the Internet, I discovered Bill Brandt. Someone wrote that he was a "second painter" and at that time I felt that I wanted to paint with light, to be a "second painter". So I started taking photos and now photography is a very important part of my life. It's not my profession, but it's more than a hobby. I know that I want to do this until the end of my life. 

Why film.. because I like film texture, its colours.. film is something special.. something precious for me. You have only 36 shots, you are limited, but it makes you more careful, more sensitive. Shots are not more than feelings. When I take digital photos, I have unlimited shots, and distributing this feeling in an unlimited space makes me scared - that what I feel during shooting will disperse and disappear.” 

As part of the exhibition, we’ll be showing photos from Mano’s series “Back” and “Song for Grandma”. These two moving collections of images of her grandma are a very personal reportage, which at the same time evokes questions of female identity and depictions of age. You can find more of Mano’s images on her Facebook page, Flickr, and Graf.Ge





No comments:

Post a Comment